Jul
10

Tonight I launched a side project I’ve been working on for a few weeks. Paper Blocks. It’s a building toy that I played with as a kid from junk mail my dad received. This version has snazzy graphics and is priced as low as possible to bring hours of fun to as many kids as possible. I would greatly appreciate it if you could check out the kickstarter project and if you like the idea, please consider sharing, tagging a friend or supporting the project. By becoming a supporter you can get your hands on your own set(s) of Paper Blocks!

Check out the Kickstarter project!

 

Oct
18

We put together a little preview right before dark this evening.

The Spooky House of Woodpark Drive

Oct
17

A lot of work has been done over the past few days with still more to come.

   
    
    
    
    
    
    
    
   

Oct
11

The cauldron creep twins have been finished and placed out in the yard. We are lucky to have a small patch of wooded area and they look great in there.  I am really digging the movement.  These use cheap reindeer motors, it will be interesting to see how well/long they hold up!

  

Oct
10

I had my little minions helping out this afternoon as we worked to setup the pumpkin reapers.  These three guys are foam pumpkin heads covered in liquid latex and cotton balls for texture.  The ribs and hands are spray foam over wire armatures, the bodies are PVC pipe wrapped in plastic hit with a heat gun. Pool noodle sections make up the spine/vertebrae.

My son was scary his little sister earlier in the day, she turned the table on him outside and started chasing him around with monster hands.

   
    
 

Oct
07

My kids helped me move some of the yard zombies outside today.  The zombies are paper mache heads (from techniques taught by STOLLOWEEN) the bodies are just pvc pipe stuffed with plastic bags and some scrap foam that we had laying around. I have always had a thing for angler fish so these guys have the little angler off the top of their heads.  I had wired LEDs into the lure but I must have messed up the resistors as 1/2 of them burned out the first night.  I call them deadlight zombies.

Organic, cage free, brain fed, and free range.  Just don’t get too close, they bite.

    
    
   

Oct
04

Since my order for more Raspberry Pi’s came in for the rest of the projectors, I needed to do a real test!  I had some old left over black shear fabric that we used to have as curtains.  I ran a line, hung the shear, and fired up one of the projectors to see how well it worked.  It worked really well but for the projectors “black” level is still a little too visible.  There may be some settings I can adjust or lighting tricks I can try to blur the edges.  But I Amarillo pretty happy overall.

Oct
02

Last year we made these guys out of sticks, foam skulls, and some burlap.  I left the bodies outside all year and they just seem to look even better.  The most time consuming part was hit gluing the burlap to the foam skulls and cutting/extending one of the skulls to have a gaping maw.  The bodies were really easy and were throw together with some branches that came down after some high winds.  Just a little bit of floral wire holds them all together. 

We put them up this evening as one of the first decorations out for the year.

    
    
   

Oct
01

  Putting our Halloween flag out every October 1st is becoming one of my favorite family traditions. We each carry part of the flag pole outside, we assemble the the pole segments, slide on the flag, drive the rebar and finaly hoist it up.  It only takes a few moments, but means the world to me that we do it together. 

    
    
   

Sep
23

This year one of the new items is a trio (hopefully) of Cauldron Creeps pioneered by the Devil’s Workshop.

Two will be stiring the pot while the third will be raising and lowering ingredients into the pot.

For the motors, I am using reindeer motors (you know those Xmas reindeer that move their heads up and down, you can buy those motors for cheap and they are built to run in the rain/snow/cold). They are very low torque and low speed which is perfect for this build.

I wasn’t able to find the foam bag of bones anywhere, only the hard plastic ones and I didn’t like the look of the hands, so I opted to create my own bones using a heat gun and plastic drop cloth.

Here is a short video of the progress so far.

UPDATE 9/29

Two creeps are ready for paint after a little garage time this evening.  I put some creepy cloth on one to se how it handles the weight and to see if the movement is still good.  I dig it!

UPDATE 10/1

Paint job! Painted them black at first, then hit with lime green spray paint that was quickly wiped off.

   
   

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.