Archive for the ‘Work in Progress’ Category

Pumpkin headed scare crows – rib cages

September 10, 2010

Ok… pumpkin headed scare crow is to difficult to type all the time, so I am going to call this trio the pumpkin watchers.  The ribs are made out of cardboard.  I quickly freehanded the shape and cut it out with a utility knife.  Didn’t even cut myself once!  Down the sternum I added a […]

Dragon Heads – a small progress update.

August 16, 2010

After the heads were dry from the initial shop towel mache coating; I wasn’t satisfied with how hard they were.  I ended up putting three layers is newspaper strip mache on them.  Once dry I was pretty happy with how sturdy they were.  All eight heads have been cut in half and emptied out.  I […]

Frost Giant Droppings?

August 9, 2010

Sure they look like frost giant droppings, or perhaps yeti turds… But they are actually the dragon heads I have been working on.  I am using blue shop towels for the paper mache.  One of the Facebook groups I am in had mentioned that they work well so I figured I would give it a […]

Dragon Head Trophies

August 8, 2010

Started working on eight dragon head wall trophies today.  I know they don’t look like much now but it’s a start.  These heads are being done via the method detailed in Dan Reeder’s book “Papier Mache Monsters”.  Each is about 2 1/2 feet long.  The “pods” in the picture will get a couple of layers […]

Dragon Teeth

August 8, 2010

Did some baking today… no, not cupcakes or cookies… I baked sculpty dragon teeth!  I have eight dragon heads in the works and these babies will help them look nice and gnarly.

Monster Clay Skull – Update

August 3, 2010

I was able to create both sides of the mold this evening.  I already know a few things I will do differently on the next piece.  From looking at the mold I will have a descent amount of clean up to do on the seams.  Hopefully I will be able to make a latex mini […]

Monster Clay Skull

July 26, 2010

My first project with monster clay.  After visiting the antique fair and not dropping 60 bones on a cool skull cane, I decided to make one.  Not sure if this will end up as a bottle topper or cane topper.  The next step is to make the mold so u can do some castings of […]

The Tridge Monster – RAFT COMPLETE

July 16, 2010

Tonight was a good night.  The raft has been painted and coated in polyurethane.  Kelly was kind enough to sew the tail fin and it has been mounted to the stand.  Now let’s hope it floats!

The Tridge Monster – RAFT UPDATE

July 15, 2010

It’s really starting to come together! Tonight Dad came over and helped me finish attaching the remaining chicken wire.  We also put in ropes on the left and right hand sides to make it easier to get in and out of the water.   Two coats of polyurethane were applied to the head in hopes that […]

The Tridge Monster – RAFT UPDATE

July 14, 2010

Tonight I did a lot of work on the raft. I sealed the caps with silicon caulk on 78 milk jugs. Then, using a gel based contact cement, attached them all to the bottom of the raft. I will be securing them even more with chicken wire. So far the left and right had sides […]